I got a few skeins of Knitpicks Dye-Your-Own a couple of weeks ago. My husband is out of town this week, so I thought this was the perfect time to go ahead and dye it without him here to complain about the mess!
So I got my Kool-Aid, which, as it turns out, I bought way too much of, and I got to dyeing. Having never done this before, I was a little apprehensive, but after the first skein, I realized there really wasn't anything I could do to screw it up, so it was a lot more fun after that.
My first skein, which I call "Bubbles" (because naming your colorways is at least half the fun of dyeing), was made with Pink Lemonade, Lemon Lime, Blue Raspberry, and Lemonade.
The second one I did, "Poppy", was done with Strawberry, Black Cherry, and Pink Lemonade. On this one, I dyed the whole thing with a very diluted Pink Lemonade, then added the other colors.
The third, "SailAway", was made with varying concentrations of Lemon Lime and Blue Raspberry.
With all three, I soaked them in the sink, then laid them out on a layer of plastic and paper towels, then added color with a medicine dropper.
Here they are unwound and drying outside in the sun.....
Now they are wound into sloppy skeins......
And, finally, wound into little yarn cakes. They look so yummy! And they smell good too.
Bubbles, SailAway, Poppy
I hate to play favorites, but I'm thinking SailAway is my favorite. Followed by Poppy. Bubbles is just a little too cloying for me, and I don't like it as much as I thought I would. Maybe it would be a good felting yarn, if I can find a project using 440 yards of fingering weight wool.
Or if there's someone out there who loves it and would like to make a pair of socks with it, email me and I'll send it to you.
It was definitely a fun process, and I'd love to do it again, although maybe next time with a superwash wool. I didn't notice any felting going on, but I was very, very careful about that. Still, it's never fun to have handwash only socks, just on general principle.
And thanks to Stephanie at Fringe! for winding the yarn cakes, and spending hours untangling Bubbles. And thanks to Eric too for helping out with the detangling.